The Congressional Vision Caucus (CVC) is a bipartisan coalition of Congressional Members dedicated to strengthening and stimulating a national dialogue and policy on vision-related problems and disabilities. Prevent Blindness was instrumental in the initial formation of the caucus and works closely with its members today.
The CVC, chaired by Rep. Gus Bilirakis, has three priority areas of focus: research, prevention/public health, and access to treatment and rehabilitation.
The CVC Mission Statement
The mission of the CVC is to set forth a national vision strategy to raise awareness about the increasing number of Americans at risk for age-related diseases; provide better understanding of the personal risk of vision loss and stress the importance of necessary steps to preserve and protect eyesight; inform communities so that they may prepare the treatment and rehabilitation services that will be needed; educate Members of Congress so they comprehend the scope of eye problems in our country; and ensure adequate resources are directed towards the research, prevention and treatment of eye disease.
CVC Activities and Accomplishments
- 2022 – Congressman Gus Bilirakis delivers remarks on importance of vision and eye health on World Sight Day 2022
- 2022 – CVC leads Dear Colleague letter urging FY23 appropriations to CDC’s Vision Health Initiative
- 2021 – Dear Colleague letter inviting Members of the 117th Congress to join the CVC
- 2020 – CVC co-chairs send letter to House appropriators requesting $5 million to the CDC’s Vision Health Initiative
- 2019 – Hosted Congressional Roundtable with Prevent Blindness and the Global Coalition on Aging to discuss aging and vision loss in the United States
- 2019 – Congressional Vision Caucus Reception during Eyes on Capitol Hill
- 2018 – Congressional Vision Caucus hosts Congressional briefing with CDC’s Vision Health Initiative
- 2018 – Retiring co-chair Rep. David Greene participates in panel discussion at the Focus on Eye Health National Summit
- 2018 – Retiring co-chair Rep. Ileana Ros-Lehtinen addresses attendees of the Focus on Eye Health National Summit
- 2018 – Congressional Vision Caucus Reception during Eyes on Capitol Hill
- 2018 – Congressman Gus Bilirakis accepts incoming co-chair role of the Congressional Vision Caucus
- 2018—Congressional Vision Caucus recognizes 50 years of the National Eye Institute
- 2017 – Congressional Vision Caucus hosts Congressional briefing with CDC’s Vision Health Initiative
- 2017 – Congressional Vision Caucus hosts Reception during Eyes on Capitol Hill